Oil major Shell has made a final investment decision (FID) to develop the Rosmari-Marjolaine gas project off Sarawak, Malaysia, with hopes of achieving first gas in 2026.

Rosmari-Marjolaine are deep-water sour gas fields discovered in 2014. They are located 220 kilometers (km) offshore from Bintulu, Sarawak, and will be powered by renewable energy, using solar energy for the offshore platform, Shell said on Monday.

According to Shell, the offshore platform will use power from 240 solar panels, while the onshore plant is connected to Sarawak’s grid which is powered mainly by hydroelectric plants. Diesel generators and batteries should be used as backup.

Shell subsidiary Sarawak Shell Berhad holds an 80% stake and Petronas Carigali owns the remaining 20% ​​of the project.

“Rosmari-Marjolaine will help provide a safe and reliable energy supply in a responsible and efficient manner”, said Shell Upstream Director, Zoe Yuzhnovitch. “It exemplifies our Powering Progress strategy – powering lives, generating value and reducing emissions by using renewable energy to power Rosmari-Marjoram.”

The development of Rosmari-Marjoram is one of the strategic projects to ensure a sustained gas supply to the Petronas LNG complex. The project includes a remote-controlled offshore platform and an onshore gas plant, with infrastructure that includes one of the longest offshore wet sour gas pipelines in the world extending over more than 200 km.

The Rosmari-Marjolaine project is designed to produce 800 million standard cubic feet of gas per day (MMscf/d). Gas production is expected to start in 2026.

Ivan TanCountry Chair and Senior Vice President Upstream Malaysia said: “The support and partnership of Petronas and the Sarawak government is critical to achieving this milestone with Rosmari-Marjoram.”

Previous

American artist goes underground to capture the charms of Mandurah on canvas

Next

Crypto platform Bitpanda adds commodity trading

Check Also